Orthodontics is the specialty of dentistry dedicated to the prevention and correction of anomalies in the alignment and positioning of teeth and jaws for functional and esthetic purposes.
What is orthodontics?
What may cause malposition of the teeth and jaws?
Misalignment of teeth and jaws can be caused by several factors. They can be hereditary or be developed over time due to the premature loss of unreplaced teeth.
Bad habits can also affect the position of the teeth or jaws, such as:
- Thumb sucking
- Oral breathing
- Atypical swallowing
Why should we do orthodontic treatment?
Different needs might lead you to seek an orthodontic treatment, like looking for a beautiful and confident smile, improving chewing and speech, searching for a stable occlusion (way of biting) or just having healthier teeth and gums.
What can be corrected by orthodontics?
- Inadequate gaps between teeth or overlapping teeth
- Rotating teeth
- Teeth too advanced (forward) or recessed (backward)
- A smile that shows too much gum tissue
- The difficulty of closing the lips completely at rest
- The lack of harmony between the upper and lower jaws: one jaw too far forward or backward compared to the other
- The shape of the face: a chin too far forward or too far backward
- An asymmetry of the mouth