Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) can have serious consequences on global health. Here is a list of the consequences recognized by recent studies for untreated OSAs:
- Daytime drowsiness, decreased reflexes, decreased field of vision leading to 7 times increased risk of being involved in a road accident.
- Lack of concentration
- Memory loss episodes
- Fatigue and lack of energy
- Increased stress level and, as a result, teeth grinding
With time, the repercussions worsen as frequent respiratory arrests make stress and adrenaline increase and accentuate coagulation phenomena.
Untreated sleep apnea may represent some risks such as:
- Increased fat mass and overweight
- Increased risk of cardiovascular disease (angina, heart attack, etc.)
- Increased blood pressure
- Increase in vascular strokes
- Pulmonary embolism
- Decreased kidney function that can lead to kidney failure
- Inhibition of the immune system
At our clinic, if a patient shows some known risk factors and/or symptoms, a specific examination will be suggested and scheduled in conjunction with a sleep clinic to establish a clear diagnosis.
Once the diagnosis of OSA is confirmed by a lung specialist, we will study together the possibility of using a mandibular advancement apparatus to help you get back a comfortable restful sleep and enjoy a healthier way of life.
If you think you have OSA, do not hesitate to contact us.