On 15 March, the Ordre des Dentistes du Québec issued a directive requesting the closure of clinics following the COVID-19 pandemic. Through this blog, I would like to answer some questions that you may have regarding pending treatments as well as offer a few tips and recommendations.
First, I would like to remind everyone of the importance of washing hands for, at least twenty seconds, before and after touching your mouth.
For patients using elastic bands, if your supply runs out, please contact us so that we can send you some.
For our patients in orthodontic treatment: evolving aligners (Invisalign)
– If you are at your last two or three sets of aligners, extend the wearing of each one (ex: go from 1 week to 2 weeks and if you are at your last set, wear it until the clinic reopens.
-To avoid staining of aligners, you should remove them when eating and drinking colored liquids (e.g. coffee, tea, juice, wine).
– Do not expose the aligners to heat, such as, while drinking hot liquids and always brush them with cold water.
– If they are stained, brush them well with toothpaste and cold water, or with a mixture of 10V peroxide and baking soda.
– You must wear them for 22 hours a day.
– In case of unusual discomfort, loss or destruction of your aligners, please call us.
For our patients with conventional orthodontic treatment (braces and wires)
– As always, it is important to maintain excellent dental hygiene each time you are eating, using dental floss, proxabrush, toothbrush and dental paste.
– Avoid eating hard and/or sticky foods to prevent the detachment of braces, which could extend the treatment unnecessarily.
– If you feel discomfort in a specific area, orthodontic dental wax is recommended. You can find some at the pharmacy, in the oral hygiene alley.
– There is no harm in keeping the same wire until the clinic reopens.
– In case of unusual pain or injury, please contact us.
Removable orthodontic appliances
– Stop the activation of your appliance immediately in case your next appointment has been postponed.
– If your appliance breaks, irritates or hurts you: you must contact us as soon as possible. A decision will be made on a case by case basis.
– If you are uncomfortable with your occlusal plate and experience pain while wearing it, you can stop using it until your next appointment when the clinic reopens. Store it, dry and well cleaned, in the case we provided you at your first appointment.
– If all goes well and no discomfort is felt, you must wear it as prescribed until your next appointment.
In the current context of the COVID-19 pandemic and the health emergency prevailing in Quebec, the Ordre des Dentistes du Québec has requested dentists to perform only urgent dental care.
Here is a guide to help you better determine what is an emergency.
If you have any of the following conditions, please contact us:
– Acute pain
– Dental infection (swelling, fever)
– Severe or prolonged bleeding
– Oral trauma requiring immediate treatment (accident, fall, etc.)
The following dental treatments can be postponed:
– Broken tooth or loss of a filling with no associated pain.
– Routine examination and cleaning
– Adjustment/repair of certain removable appliances
– Tooth whitening
Should an emergency arise, you can leave us a message at 514-337-3117. Messages will be taken daily, and we will call you back within 24 hours to guide you to the best solution